Do You Love Holiday Sweets? Learn How You Can Prevent Cavities!
The holidays are a time for family and friends - and also food! Unfortunately, with such easy access to all the sweets and desserts your heart desires, it can be more difficult to maintain oral health and wellness throughout the holiday season. Candies are sweets full of sugar that can contribute to the development of cavities. Our Granada Hills dentist, Dr. Gohar Hovsepyan of Viva Smile encourages patients to come to her dental practice and ask about cavity prevention.
Cavity prevention solutions
Here are just a few tips and tricks to reducing the chances of developing cavities or disease throughout the holiday break:
- Limit consumption of sweet beverages. This includes pasteurized juices and sodas which can cause mineral depletion from the body and can leave acids on the teeth that can contribute to cavity development.
- Eat sweet foods moderately. Candies and desserts are often high in sugars, which can damage the natural tooth enamel. Reduce consumption of white sugars and high fructose corn syrup as well.
- Drink more calcium. Instead of candies and sweet beverages, consider drinking more milk during the holidays which can integrate calcium into the body and strengthen the bones and teeth.
- Reduce consumption of coffee and alcohol, which have sugars and can also throw body chemistry out of balance.
- Brush and floss after every meal, including snacks. This eliminates the acids, sugars, and food particles that can contribute to cavities and periodontal disease.
- Take good care of yourself. Stay active and eat healthy, while still treating yourself once and while for the holidays!
Schedule an appointment today
Now is a great time to book an appointment with Dr. Gohar Hovsepyan and her dental staff at Viva Smile to discuss this and many other oral health concerns that may be affected by the holiday season. Her dental practice is conveniently located at 17630 Chatsworth Street in Granada Hills, CA and can be reached by phone for an appointment at (818) 900-2800. Call today and get started in achieving and maintaining optimal oral health and wellness—now and into the new year!
Location: 17630 Chatsworth St. Granada Hills, CA 91344
Back to Articles